xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: Are you new to autism? I was once where you are

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Are you new to autism? I was once where you are

Does it seem like I know what I'm talking about here? Do I seem confident in my knowledge of autism? I've got this great big blog, with lots of stuff that I've written, and I probably seem like I know what I'm doing (more or less), but that hasn't always been the case, you know.

I was looking through my old emails tonight, I don't even remember why now, I've been at this for about an hour, and I found this message that I posted to our local parenting mailing list; it's dated 3/12/2004:
We've just returned from the Developmental Pediatrician who has recommended Early Intervention for my 25 month old son. She was hesitant to give him a diagnosis, and when I asked, she said she would call it "Global Developmental Delay." Basically, he's about 10 months behind in all areas, some more, some less, but specifically he has a marked speech delay; at 25 months he has yet to say any words clearly. I say "clearly" because it's possible that he says lots of words, but we just don't understand them. He babbles constantly, understands everything we say to him; can follow directions (when he wants to!), and communicates his needs quite well nonverbally. He's been late in all of the major milestones so far, (crawling, pulling up, walking, etc.) but he's gotten to all of them eventually. I don't know what to think about an Early Intervention program. How necessary is it? My husband and I are very concerned with "labeling" him with a diagnosis that he'll have to wear for the rest of his life. But should those concerns be outweighed by the possible benefits from putting in him a program? What I want more than anything is to connect with other parents who have been where we are now and can tell us what choices they made and why, and what the results were. Jill
I wanted to post this message for any parent who is new to the autism world. You may be feeling overwhelmed or scared or having a whole range of emotions you don't know what to do with, and I just wanted to tell you that I have been there. I know exactly how you're feeling. I was once in the exact same position you were, but I didn't have the great big internet to turn to.

I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. If you're reading this and you know somebody who might benefit from those words, please pass it on.