xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: Just makin' my purchases

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just makin' my purchases

The kids are at camp for the summer; they're both at the same camp this year (not like last year) and one of Child 2's friends is going with him. I've been driving the friend to and from camp every day; it's no big deal, I'm going there, anyway, it's easier for his mom to drop him at our house every morning and he lives close so I just bring him home in the afternoon. This fact will become important in a minute.

Wednesday was a busy work day for me; I had back to back clients all day and then I had to rush up the hill to pick up all the boys from camp. I finished my second client and realized that I had about 10 minutes to spare, so I decided to go to Trader Joe's to pick up some necessities.

So, I park and jump out, and I go into the store and don't even get a cart or a basket, because I'm going to be so quick. I grab my first two necessities: a bottle of vodka and a bottle of wine, and I head to the other side of the store to get the ham and the Mac & Cheese.

I'm on my way over when I hear a little voice say "Hi Jill!" and I look over and I see the little brother of Child 2's friend. The friend who is at camp with my kid right now. The friend who I'm about to go pick up in 10 minutes. And HEY! There's the friend's mom! Buying milk! And here I am... holding a bottle of vodka and a bottle of wine.... with no basket.

I literally stop in my tracks in mid-stride, and I'm sure I looked like a deer in the headlights. Like this, probably:


and I say very awkwardly "oh, hey! Yeah, um.... just, uh.... makin' my purchases! Heh heh heh." And she says something like "oh, have fun!" all the while we're both very much aware that I'm now on my way to pick her son up from camp. In my car. Not like I was going to drink any of it before I got there, but still.....

Awkward.