xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: I've gotten in a little over my head

Thursday, September 15, 2011

I've gotten in a little over my head

UPDATE: Okay, here's what's happened so far. I "unsubscribed" from everything in Google Reader, except when I go to reader now, everything is still there; all 539 of them. HOWEVER, it has made it appear as though I actually have unsubscribed from all of you because I'm not showing up in your little GFC box anymore. So, YOU think I've unsubscribed, but Google does not. THAT'S FUCKING GREAT, GOOGLE.

I've switched to netvibes. I fucking hate Google now.




I don't know if anybody has noticed (probably not, but whatever. Hey, it's MY ego and I'll inflate it if I want to!) but I haven't been reading or commenting on any of your blogs lately. Maybe one a day at the most and it's only because I've followed a link from a tweet.

See.... here's the thing. When I first started blogging, I only had three followers and one of them was me, so as I made my way through the internets and encountered all these other blogs, I started following every single blog I landed on, especially the ones with only three followers, because man I know how awesome it feels to have your fourth follower be somebody you aren't related to, and I like to pass that kind of joy around. The problem, as you will guess, is that I am now following quite a large number of blogs: 539 to be exact.

This is not a joke. I am not exaggerating or inflating that number for show, I am actually following 539 blogs. See?



As you can imagine, it's a bit difficult to keep current on 539 blogs every day, and it really only takes about a day for this to happen:



See, once you get to 1,000 unread posts, they just stop bothering to count for you and they add that plus sign at the end. After three days I might have 3,000 unread posts as far as I know.

At some point I figured out that I could make categories and put all my 539 blogs into neatly categorized folders, except once I had made the folders, I couldn't figure out which blog should do into which folder, and it became a nightmare of trying to read and figure it all out. A nightmare, I tell you!!!! (#FirstWorldProblems)

At this point I've decided to just scrap the whole system and start over. I'm going to unsubscribe from all 539 blogs (even my own!!!!!!) and then RE-subscribe, one at a time, using a different fucking blog reader than Google reader because Google reader is lame.

So, if you notice that I've unsubscribed from you, especially those of you who only have 4 followers and one of them is you and another is me, don't worry: I'll be back!

Also, what readers do you guys use? Can somebody recommend a good one (for Mac) that isn't Google Reader? Because Google reader is lame.