xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: An encounter at the bus stop

Monday, August 1, 2011

An encounter at the bus stop

I'm chatty. I'm a very chatty person. No, I'm serious. I know you're shocked by this revelation, but it's true. I chat with people all over the place. You know how when you're waiting in line at the bank and you randomly start joking around with the person in line behind you about how slow the line is moving? That's me; I'm that person behind you. And I'll pull everybody else waiting in the line into the discussion, too. I do this everywhere I go; I'm constantly chatting people up.

I have a really bad memory. Like... REALLY bad. After you and I leave the bank, if I run into you the next day, I will have no idea who you are. You will look very familiar to me, because I remember faces for some reason, but I will have no idea who you are or how I know you. It's not personal; it's not that our encounter didn't make an impact. I remember the funny conversation I had in line at Wells Fargo yesterday, I just don't remember that it's you I had the conversation with.

You can imagine the trouble this might cause me. This isn't a huge town, so the people I meet will inevitably turn up again and again, and for some reason everybody else seems to have a better memory than I do. It's a problem.

Anyway, this past Friday I was picking Child 2 up from camp and I had one such encounter. It was quite typical of how these things generally go for me and I thought you guys might enjoy laughing at and also with me. My internal dialogue is represented below in purple and the always awesome Comic Sans.