xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: Memories of my brother

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Memories of my brother

For those of you who don't know, I had an older brother who died almost 9 years ago. Every once in a while I'm going about my business and something will remind me of him. This is a funny one so I thought I'd share.

Earlier I was chatting on Twitter (no, really) and I saw a conversation go by about bands that were fronted by bass players. Primus was the example used and I piped in with fIREHOSE, which is a band fronted by a bass player, Mike Watt, and it reminded me of this story.....

My brother was a big fan of fIREHOSE when he was in college and he used to go see them all the time. One year, I don't remember which, he was going traveling in Southeast Asia and was going to be out of the country for months. Before he left, he wrote Mike Watt a letter, telling him how much he was going to miss him while he was gone, and Mike Watt wrote back, thanking him.

I've always thought that story was both hilarious and adorable.

Here's my favorite fIREHOSE song, probably nobody has ever heard it. It's called Chemical Wire.