xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: I should clarify...

Friday, September 17, 2010

I should clarify...

I've been thinking about that last rant of mine and I want to clarify some things that I said; it isn't really what I meant to say and it kind of contradicts with things I've said in the past.

First of all, if you have a kid with autism and you find something that works for you, I say GO FOR IT. I totally support any kind of crazy anything anybody can find, as long as it works and it isn't harmful. If that means Traditional Chinese Medicine, then by all means, make it so! I obviously have a bias against Traditional Chinese Medicine, based on my personal experience with it, but that doesn't mean that I know any better about how to treat somebody else's kid.

The big thing that I have a problem with is anybody who makes a claim that they know what causes or what doesn't cause autism, and there's a tendency of people who have seen fantastic results in their own children to then make claims that because their child is "recovered," they now know all about the causes, and if you say otherwise, then you're just wrong. The same is true for the medical community, which makes a claim that vaccines don't cause autism and if you say otherwise, then you're just wrong.

Nobody knows what causes it and nobody knows what can "cure" it. Maybe it can't be cured. Maybe it shouldn't be. I object to blanket statements about this subject when there are an infinite amount of factors involved and blanket statements don't take them all into account. Thus, whenever I see somebody saying they're successfully recovering their child, through whatever means, I steel myself against the next statement, which is "and you can, too."

I hope that clears things up....